Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Induction Ceremony - warmly welcomed

Two really nice things happened last week: I got to know my fellow students a little better and I was inducted into the Physical Therapy profession.


In class last week all 26 PT students had to teach something for 10 minutes that was meaningful and not related to Physical Therapy. It felt like a "show and tell" session. I was taught: how to make fry bread and tortillas, how to replace break drums, how to draw an elephant and make an elephant noise, how to hold and take care of box turtles, how to fly fish, how to make beer (including samples!!! - and no worries it was after 10am), a lesson on the history of tea, how to DJ a radio show, how to use jujitsu, how to set up a river rafting trip, how to train a dog for search and rescue, how to swing dance, break dance and line dance, some useful tricks with the English language, the five throws in basketball; and me, I taught everyone how to find fossils in New Mexico. Specifically, I taught my class how to find dinosaur bones from the Jurassic Morrison formation and ammonites from the Cretaceous Mancos formation. I actually borrowed some spectacular specimens from the Geology Department.


Then, last Friday was my official welcome into the Physical Therapy profession. It was a lovely ceremony that was attended by the entire PT department including all the professors and all three classes and their families. Each class read an oath that promised to serve the PT profession competently and honestly and we were gifted with a tool of the profession - gait belts. My two sweeties, Stephen and Emily, and my best friend, Carla were at my induction and they got to meet my fellow students and teachers. I have never heard of an induction ceremony for students but, I think it is a terrific idea, welcoming beginners into a healing profession.

I sure like this softer and warmer side of science.


1 comment:

  1. Hey mom. Um, i think you should add a little blurb about how much you enjoy the new things you were taught or shorten it to the things you liked the most and then say, "and so much more" or something to that effect, because it does it a little lengthy right there and then you cut to what you taught. I think you could also describe how important geology is to you and how happy you were to share with your fellow PT students.

    other than that, I really liked your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete


the longest journey begins with that first step