Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Group of Normal Folks


It is nice to be around like-minded people. It makes me feel normal, which of course is an illusion. I have come to understand that there is no such thing as "normal" - like normal childhood, normal job, normal lovership, normal family or normal life. But, it is nice to feel that way when I am amongst my peers in school.

All my classmates are good students (26 of us picked from about 300 applicants), we all have a strong sense of service to others and are geeky anatomy nerds who can't wait to get into the lab and start learning the body's structure and inner workings. But what I really am liking about my classmates is their genuine concern about feelings and everyone strives to let each other know that they are appreciated. In the three weeks I have been in school I have gotten little e-messages from my classmates like: "so glad you are in my class", "you are really great", "thank you for being here", "i really appreciate you" and "thanks for being part of our team".

We 26 students are going to be together as a unit until the end of our graduate program and everyone is getting to know each other and create a tight network of support. I find it be unique in my life but, it sure feels normal to me.

Oh and by-the-way, I was voted as class president.

5 comments:

  1. Hey there..i needed to knoe this..
    uhh..are yu ..like..still in school??

    ReplyDelete
  2. A.K. - yeah, ahhhhh I took a break to raise my family and have a career and yeah I am like still in school and for like the next 3 years. Starting a new career which ahhhhh like required re-training.... switched from engineering to physical therapy. (I promise myself - this is my LAST degree!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, there needs to be a comma after 'normal' in the second sentence. and perhaps you should replace 'lovership' with a real word...or not at all, because it's implied when you talk about life and the likes.

    um...it seems like you should expand a little more on the class president bit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Em, go easy on your Mom. Blogs are informal writings! Congrats on feeling like you fit in, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's the one that told me to do it. She has me edit her stuff so that she understands the mechanics and what sounds better. It's not trying to be mean, but i'm also not sugarcoating it. i'm just stating what would sound better.

    ReplyDelete


the longest journey begins with that first step