Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pre-flight checklist

I am a planner. I like to make plans, review plans, stick-to-the-plan and execute the plan.

I have been planning an adventure of sorts since the summer of 2007 when I was a miserable semiconductor engineer working for the even more miserable Intel corporation. The adventure starts with PT School on Monday, August 24, 2009.

However, I really needed to get my life in order so that I could spend three years in school. Thus the pre-flight checklist included making sure both of my kids (Stephen & Emily) will be out of high school and enrolled in college. And, that I had enough space between my semiconductor career and new PT career that I didn't feel burnt out and unable to focus. So I quit my very lucrative engineering career on Leap Day 2008 (auspicious and unplanned!) and spent the last 18 months enjoying time with my teenage children, teaching yoga and traveling a little bit. I took the family to Paris, I taught an yoga and ayurveda workshop in Sweden, I spent 10 days checking out Hawaii as a place to do PT clinicals and I organized my garage.

Right now at 49.5 years of age I am ready to launch myself into this new career, this whole new life. I am so looking forward to the adventure.


3 comments:

  1. When I read "preflight check" list I thought it was going to be something about missing plane flights... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you're there--already living the new life. Go for it with gusto, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many of us can really say we are following our passions and flying by the seat of what really matters? You are some "ripe tomato!"; an inspiration to those of us still sitting in the crate. Go girl go!......love Muff

    ReplyDelete


the longest journey begins with that first step